Monday, August 20, 2012

I saved me $100. Boo-yah.

I don't know how many of you read The Daybook, but she posted this picture a week ago.
IMAGE FROM HERE - Sydney is awesome, so you should click over and read her blog.
My first thought?  I WANT THAT SKIRT! I NEEEEEEED THAT SKIRT!
Well, being the fashion blogger that she is she posted the link to where she got it. Don't click the link unless you really have $115 to spend on a skirt. I was mucho disappointed when I saw that price tag. 

Then I figured what the heck I'll just make it myself.  After staring at Sydney's pictures and the pictures off of the actual skirt's site and making tons of notes on it all, I went to work. 

I already had fabric that I had decided didn't quite fit with a quilt I was making, so I figured if I can make this skirt with this fabric, maybe after our move back to Utah (and then on to who knows where yet) I will get myself some always-classy striped fabric and do the whole shenanigan all over again.

I was pretty proud of myself when it actually looked kind of similar. Sewing it was a struggle when my wimpy machine decided it didn't want to handle more than one layer of fabric. I won't tell you all the places where the defects are.  But now all I need is some stripey fabric because I would love to save $100 and have that striped skirt.

Here is my only after picture. An instagram from the church bathroom where there is a full-length mirror and half my eyebrow disappears. Not at my apartment where I stand on buckets to see my hemlines. 
Embedded image permalink

7 comments:

  1. 1. Yes, I did see that post. 2. Yes, I did go to that website and think, "seriously, $115?" 3. Yours is WAY cute and I want to make one too. 4. You're moving back to Utah?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! But only for a month-ish hopefully. We turned down a FT offer here, but we're not sure where we will end up yet....

      Delete
  2. DANG IT, I accidentally left the page and my comment didn't save. But what it said was that your skirt is ADORABLE and I was hoping you would post about it! You really did a great job. And have you thought about selling them? Honestly, I bet you'd do well. I remember visiting the shop she got hers from when it first opened, and she was selling those skirts for $50. Seriously. So business must be booming if she has DOUBLED her prices. You should think about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! I'm secretly super proud of myself for the work I put into it, and I'm sure David is sick of me mentioning my skirt.
      I thought about selling them for like .0001 seconds. I'd like to, but I think I'm intimidated by the whole prospect. Specifically things like sizing and pricing etc. So much over my head. But it sounds VERY intriguing.

      Delete
  3. I am so impressed that you sewed that darling skirt! I had skirt envy when I saw you wearing it yesterday! I was going to ask you where you got it! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed this post! Your skirt is SO cute! Again, please come teach me how to make clothes. Love that print, too! You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete