So I've always had a secret inkling to change the world. And it was always something big. Like maybe discover the cure for cancer. Or solve the problem of world peace. Or AIDS. Or make poverty history. And I realized that I can't do it. At least, I can't really do it. But I can do part of it!
KIVA, if you have not heard about it, is all about giving people in povertymicroloans to jumpstart their businesses and elevate them out of poverty. It is fantastic! You should go readabout it. I know the Church did a whole segment on microloans after General Conference one year. Basically, you lend them $25 (or whatever amount you want to lend), along with other people lending $25. Then, they take this money and use it to build up their business. Then, they pay you back your $25. And you have the option of doing it all over again, or just taking you $25 and pocketing it. Really, it is fantastic. You should go here to read all about it. And to lend!
So, now I am just trying to decide which special person benefits from our well-given gift. Also, I feel as if I'm doing my part to change the world. It counts, right?
Speaking of doing my part, and again change the world (I guess I'm just obsessed with that phrase. It actually was my password for facebook awhile back after I saw this inspiring commercial about it freshman year. Oh man, oh the reminiscing. I've now moved on to adverb passwords): I love the story about the girls that make these shoes - girls that make shoes so they can pay their tuition to go to university.

I actually have been wanting a pair for about 2 years, but I decided I would be practical and wait until I could actually afford to buy them. I'm craving the starboard and the black ones (and the red! and the teal!). Good thing they have the option to just buy additional ties! Okay, so maybe I'm secretly holding off on buying them until I can get a pedicure and feel like my feet are un-ugly enough to go out in public in cute sandals again. Plus, I'd really like the chance to help another girl get an education and do my part in changing the world.
(I don't know why the picture is so huge, nor is Blogger letting me change it. Oh the woes of having bad internet. It does not come in handy when trying to race through online courses in a matter of days. Speaking of, I should be doing those now, so I will get off. BUT, I will be back to change the world when they are done. P.S. having working air conditioning is so blissful. It's a familiar feeling when your feet are cold. Oh, how I've missed it!)

No comments:
Post a Comment