Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Black Bean Soup

My awesome cousin, Rachel, just happens to love creating weekly menus and is nice enough to email them out to a few people. Bonus for me, right?

BUT now that we are spending our summer here with most of our kitchen being hundreds of miles from us, dinners have to be super simplified. (Not joking, I think we rotate through maybe 10 simple meals here.) One reason I'm excited to have a full-time job someday is because I will finally get to make some of the meals she has sent me. Meals that include more than 4 or 5 ingredients!

Anyways, she sent out this week's menu and it had this black bean soup recipe on it. Black bean soup is one of those meals that I like. It is super cheap, very filling, and I could (and have) eat it for days in a row.
My lack of any complex ingredients here means I use this go-to, simple version from my mom:

2 cans of black beans (not drained)
1 can chicken broth
1/2 cup (or more depending on how you like it) of salsa [I use medium]
1 can of corn (with or without draining) [or 1 cup of frozen corn]


Heat over the stove. Eat with whichever toppings you want.
Possible toppings: cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, tomatoes, olives, green onions, cilantro


We think chips, tomatoes, cilantro, and the oxford comma are must-haves. :)
And I would put a picture up, but I literally just ate the last bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment