Thursday, November 15, 2012

Guilty Pleasures

Let's be friends.
NOT the "oh you have a happy life and cute pictures" friends. (Although, I love you too! Trust me, I do.)
I mean the you-know-what-gets-me, I-know-what-gets-you, we-can-talk-about-ridiculous-things-together kind of friends.

Let's start with stuff we like to hide: guilty pleasures. You can judge me all you want (feel free, but I KNOW you have some too).
Then we can get past that and talk about all our ridiculousness for hours and it will be glorious.
Here we go.
1. Celebrity gossip.
  Why yes, I do read People magazine/people.com. And very often. (usually every day) You guys, I'm way past the whole "they look perfect" issue people have with magazines. I read them because I like feeling normal and seeing gorgeous dresses/outfits, and for the GOSSIP. Seriously. Celebrity gossip is quite possibly the BEST non-committal, non-serious conversation topic ever. Why talk about weather when you can talk about so-and-so's divorce/who dumped whom/who said what?

sleep, sleep, sleep
2. Sleep
I regularly sleep in. No, I don't get up early to exercise, read my scriptures, breathe in the quiet silent world. All that quiet makes me sleepy. So  I go back to sleep until 10, 11, noon..... No regrets, people.  I love days when I am up early and get lots of things done and feel accomplished and superwoman-ly. But folks, my days are OPEN right now. I can sleep in and still get every thing done by the time David comes home. People, I AM A BETTER PERSON. Trust me. Mean Nattie comes out when not enough sleep is in the equation. Some days I'm in pajamas until 4. Comfiest days ever.
(*Disclaimer: I know this will all change when I have kids/start working. Which I'm okay with - why else would I be willing to have them? - but until that happens and nothing requires me to get up, I'm sleeping in.)

Bachelorette :)
3. TV shows
I watch lots of them and enjoy the ridiculous-ness of them all (gasp!). Ridiculous/cheesy/awful plot lines? Perfect. I'll take them all. I'll even think about them as I wash my face or make dinner. Let's see - any cop show is great any time, comedy-dramedy makes for great laughs (and sometimes ugly cries, ahem, Parenthood), reality TV makes me realize I'm not as crazy as I think, and any tension-filled love story gets me hooked. Clear eyes, full hearts, CAN'T LOSE.

Target
4. Target
I'm addicted. It is really, really, really hard for me to not buy anything every time I walk in there. They have things on clearance I never knew I needed! I can spend hours walking around this store picking things up and putting them back down. I pretty much love everything they have in their store. I also try to hide things I buy. But David is unusually good at noticing new/different things. So sometimes I hide them and then don't use them for a couple weeks to try to ease them in --- doesn't usually work, FYI.


5. Baby 
No, I do not have a baby nor am I pregnant. However, that has not/will not stop me from consuming birth stories from everyone and anyone and bawling over them, reading every "things I wished I'd known" list known to Pinterest, shopping the baby section at Target, making a list of things to buy when we do have a baby bean.  Just planning ahead, people.... right?


pop music
6.  Pop Music
I like the "dumb stuff". There I said it. Most recently, the mash-ups from Pitch Perfect. But I also love the stuff by One Direction, Selena Gomez, blah, blah, blah. I like the other "cool" stuff too, but man, dumb upbeat cheesy songs make me sing along and dance in the car like an idiot and who doesn't want to do that?


wrapped red vines
via
7. Sugar binges
 Sour gummi worms, black jelly beans, red vines, peachies, tootie frootie tootsie rolls, etc. Sometimes on my work break, I would go buy a bag of [fill in from above list] and EAT IT ALL. In the car. By myself. Wouldn't look at the calories or ingredients. And sometimes I'd get a stomach ache afterwards. Oh well. Live in the moment, right? And those moments are just so good. (Ice cream is also an acceptable substitute.)


Seven is enough right? If you're completely overwhelmed by my openness and don't want to talk to me again, that's okay. Come talk to me when the new season of the Bachelor starts. I'll just be over here debating whether or not to get some high-calorie sugar item but knowing that means I probably have to get dressed for the day.

What are your guilty pleasures??
You know you want to tell me. Getting it off your chest will feel GREAT, I just know it!

11 comments:

  1. YES on the sugar binges. YES on the reality TV (I don't watch much, but I LOVE America's Next Top Model, which is the stupidest of them all, I'm pretty sure). NO on birth stories (still gross, even after I've had one of my own. I either read them and feel 1. jealous that theirs was a better/faster/less traumatizing experience than mine, 2. annoyed that they're turning it into some transcendental glorious experience . . . that is NOT how mine went down, or 3. sorry for them if it was awful) or 4. post-traumatic stress. More: reading blogs that I know I hate, just for the pleasure of feeling superior to/irritated at them (then emailing the choicest tidbits to likeminded friends who will also mock them with me), watching youtube tutorials for makeup I will never attempt and hair styles that my hair is nowhere near long enough for, researching/comparing products for purchases I will probably never make (right now: fancypants expensive flatirons), job hunting (although I do not even really want and do not apply for these jobs . . . I just like knowing what's out there and what maybe I could be doing), sending Forrest to daycare and sitting on the couch in silence and reading (so nice), checking facebook like a zillion times a day, making treats that I claim to plan to take to neighbors but somehow never make it past my kitchen. You're right, that did feel good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! I totally do the YouTube and "treats for neighbors" too.

      Delete
  2. TV shows, YES! When I was visiting teaching and both the other sisters were talking about how they were getting rid of TV and it was so cleansing and yadda yadda and I was just thinking about how much I love Psych and Parenthood and The Bachelorette etc.!!

    Funny, I always watch a lot of birth stories (A Baby Story is my fav) early in my pregnancies but towards the end I don't as much. Probably because it seems so far away at first, I need a reminder about why I'm so dang sick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I probably should give up tv but I love it too much. Glad I'm not the only one. :)

      Delete
  3. I love this post! Definitely sleep in and do whatever you want all day. Make the most of those days since as you know, they will soon be over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I definitely am trying to make te most of them. David just laughs at me but I love it so much haha

      Delete
  4. Ummmm....so we share pretty much every guilty pleasure. The only one I'd add to the list would be instagram/pinterest/blog-stalking! Miss you Nat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Definitely should be on the list! I feel like I check instagram and my google reader every five minutes! And I miss you too!

      Delete
  5. SO EXCITED for the Bachelor. I wish you were here to enjoy the watching parties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sad I won't be there!! It won't be the same without you guys.

      Delete