I would have gotten the ice cream bar. (Which David reallllllly wanted.) I would have nixed the yellow. I don't know why I thought I needed purple, grey, AND yellow. But that's that. I would have also had more dancing.
Our grand plan was to do all the meet-and-greet stuff, eat cake, toss the bouquet, etc, do the First Dance, and then keep dancing and while other people were dancing we were going to slip away. Of course, we didn't realize that at your wedding you are always being watched. So we tried to make a quiet exit after a mere five songs. AND EVERYONE FOLLOWED US. (Like normal. I don't know why I thought our wedding would be different. oy.)
BUT. One choice I will always always always do again was our first song.
David went on an LDS mission to San Francisco -- CHINESE speaking. So he spent a lot of his time in Chinatown, got to know lots of Chinese people and got pretty fluent. And of course, like all foreign missionaries do, they come home with some music that they might not have listened to otherwise.
Fast forward to when we start dating/are almost engaged. He shows me this video of one of his favorite Chinese songs. And being the baby that I am = TEARS. Seriously. It got to me. Because when you're in love, you can't possibly imagine your life without your other half. And this song got even better because he would sing me the words in my ear sometimes when I would force him to dance around the kitchen with me. I eventually learned the words from us singing it enough.
Because it's about how much they love each other and wanting to be the fairy tale they have always heard about. TRUE LOVE, you guys. TRUE LOVE. I'm a sucker for it.
So of course, we decide to skip any traditional/normal song for our First Dance. Sometimes I go back and watch this video and get all fuzzy and warm. If it's really late at night, I might even be found weeping again over the love story.
I linked it here so you can watch it.




Love the story behind your song!! Totally true missionaries come home loving songs from the language they learn. My husband served in Brazil and has CDs upon CDs of songs he still plays and listens to! Cute post and adorable little family!
ReplyDeleteThank you! Our CDs are still played too! Even though I have no idea what the songs mean.....
Delete