Tuesday, September 29, 2009

'Adjectives Illuminate A Gloomy Page....'

I am not a wordsmith. I have no gift of tongue, no twisting or arranging of words to create a profound and prolific thought that in turn leads others to think. (And I'm not writing this to get anyone to say otherwise, I'm just simply stating it - not fishing for compliments.) That is not my gift - if anything, that's Lisette's. And although I can twist other people's words to make them sound pretty, it's not quite the same thing.

I've always admired authors and poets and public speakers and songwriters because they have the gift I don't. Being able to string words and sentences together that just sound so pretty. And how sometimes they have incredible meanings, but other times, they do it just because they like how it sounds. Robert Frost said, "All the fun's in how you say a thing." And it's true. Some of my favorite words come from songs I've heard or poems I read when I was younger. And now, I find new ones every day. For example, The Avett Brothers have some incredible lyrics. I'm slightly, minorly obsessed with them because of this. Sometimes I wonder how they do it. And then I simply listen in awe.

"When nothing is old deserved or respected/ And your life doesn't change by the man that's elected/ If you're loved by someone you're never rejected/ Decide what to be and go be it."

This twisting of words and connecting with someone's soul leads to the creation of thoughts. I was reading about words today. By a woman who simply puts them down for others to enjoy, because she, indeed, is a wordsmith. She wrote the seemingly unimportant line, "Adjectives illuminate a gloomy page" in the midst of a paragraph on how to create a sentence that has energy. And the very next thought that came into my head was how friends are like those adjectives - when your days are feeling gloomy, there are rays of sunshine breaking through.

I would be remiss if I did not appreciate the sunshine in my life. So, no more focusing on the clouds and gray skies. I'm going to focus on the light breaking through.


(Kinsey, I had to find a picture that had you in it from forever ago, just so you could be in this post too. And I would have a picture with the boys except I can't seem to find any. I guess girls just take more pictures than guys.)

1 comment:

  1. haha thanks for the shout out Nat, really appreciate it and love these pics! We are definitely each other's sunshine, I LOVE IT!

    <3

    ReplyDelete