Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I did it.

In story form:
My Fight For Freedom:
How Facebook Sucked My Life Away
Dear World,

I did it. The feeling right now is incredible. Liberation + no more temptation = a feeling of elation. Today at 11:07 a.m., on the 2nd floor of the HBLL, I deleted my facebook. And let me tell you, the result has been wonderful. Even before the actual deletion, I was on such a high from deciding to do it that I paid attention in all of my classes - the whole time. And enjoyed them.

I've had a couple friends ask me why I did it. Here are a few of my reasons: A) I'm addicted to it. I can't control myself - in both how often I log on and how much time I spend each time I log on. It takes up so much of my time -- time that is supposedly valuable, but that I'm not valuing very much if I'm spending it all online. B) I'd rather have a relationship with real people instead of a machine. C) I'm pretty sure my real friends are the ones who have my cell phone number. The rest are all just the victims of innocent stalking. And I'll sacrifice them for a real conversation with a real person. D) I still have an email and a cell phone and skype and a blog. Despite what it looks like, I'm not ostracizing myself from the rest of the world.

I have had my facebook for over 5 years. I got facebook when you had to be invited to have a facebook. Back when they didn't have an inbox, or a news feed, or quizzes, or put photo albums up or chat. Or a lot of stuff. Back when this guy was the logo of facebook:

And at first, it was a fun, easy way to connect with your friends without feeling like you're sending an intrusive email. And if you didn't have a cell phone, it was quick and easy. And had fewer numbers to remember.

But it soon escalated. To the point where I was/am addicted. This I will freely admit. I would check it not once or twice a day. More like once or twice an hour. And after an hour of being on it in the library, or at work, I'd finally get off and not be able to remember the things I needed to accomplish for the day. I was more interested in seeing people's lives and critiquing them and feeling involved from afar instead of being real friends.

I liked what this man wrote in a NYtimes article (Feb. 9, 2009) about the whole "25 things" fad that went around at the start of this year :

"The idea that real intimacy is achieved by telling 25 people about the first time you saw a horse or the name of your kindergarten boyfriend is, admittedly, worthy of ridicule. But in her refusal to participate, Ms. B may have unwittingly touched upon the very thing that makes the exercise so appealing: the fact that we can learn intimate details of a person's life without actually having to interact with them. 'I've gotten 25 random things notices from people that absolutely fascinated me," said Mr. C, the actor. 'But I'm pretty certain I wouldn't want to be stuck on a bus with them telling me these things.'"

And as much as I love stalking people and seeing pictures, I'd rather be taking the pictures or be in them instead of just looking at them. I did have the hardest time convincing myself to delete it. I've actually been considering it for a couple months now. And when I actually told someone I was going to do it. I told them I was going to delete it tomorrow. But then I talked to someone else about it and he said to do it right now -as in: as-soon-as-we-sit-down-at-the-table-in-the-library-now. So we did. And I honestly am glad I did. I'm glad I have my life back. Or at least the chance to have one.
From the same article as above: "'Whatever happened to talking to people face-to-face?' she wrote in an e-mail message. 'Since when do we have to give our friends synopses or overviews of our lives? Anyone who wants to know 25 things about me can call me
or ask me.'"
And that's pretty much how I feel now. If you really care about me and want to know about my life, you can have my cell phone number. And we can talk about it.

1 comment: