
I have two distinct memories that I associate with this picture.
1. I lost my wedding rings.
We were meeting by the side of the road next to a random field (see picture above? That's Utah Lake in the background.) to take my bridals. I was wearing my dress and I decided I wanted to put on lotion. But I had just gotten my rings cleaned so they would be all sparkly for pictures. So I took them off to put the lotion on. Bad idea.
Notice the ruffles on my dress? My rings slipped under them and I completely forgot about putting them on. (Being engaged did weird things to my memory. I had a hard time remembering a lot of things.)
We get to the field, I get out of the car and my rings just slipped off my dress.
But did I notice?
Of course not.
We just went ahead and did a 2 hour photo shoot - including driving from place to place... 2 large fields, one amphitheater, one gazebo at an apartment complex.
It was only when we were back in the car driving home that I realized I didn't have them. Or couldn't find them.
ANYWHERE.


So what do I do? Start crying and freaking out.
We drive back to the first field - but how are we to know where exactly we pulled over on the side?
We pull over and get out of the car.
I'm still crying. And sort-of-not-really looking at the ground.
David at least has his head on straight.
The first place he looks is in the side of the door in our car.
And underneath all the junk,
there were my rings.
We pull over and get out of the car.
I'm still crying. And sort-of-not-really looking at the ground.
David at least has his head on straight.
The first place he looks is in the side of the door in our car.
And underneath all the junk,
there were my rings.
2. My wedding dress broke on our wedding day.
I know I mentioned it, but here's the whole story.
I got my dress altered - and by altered, I mean I needed to have the top completely custom built. The wonderful lady who did it for me had to put a whole new zipper in, so we just went with one of the cheaper/easier to do zippers. However, when I was trying it on, the zipper pulled apart. Luckily, we were able to fix it that time by just undoing it and redoing it. (But just in case, I sewed a handful of hook&eyes to help.)
Fast forward to our wedding day. I'm changing into my dress, right before we walk out of the temple together. And my mom and another sweet lady were helping me.
And my zipper did it again. Just split. We worked on it for a little bit.
Except this time, we couldn't zip it down and back up.
No matter how hard we tried.
Then the zipper came off on one side.
Oh man.
I got my dress altered - and by altered, I mean I needed to have the top completely custom built. The wonderful lady who did it for me had to put a whole new zipper in, so we just went with one of the cheaper/easier to do zippers. However, when I was trying it on, the zipper pulled apart. Luckily, we were able to fix it that time by just undoing it and redoing it. (But just in case, I sewed a handful of hook&eyes to help.)
Fast forward to our wedding day. I'm changing into my dress, right before we walk out of the temple together. And my mom and another sweet lady were helping me.
And my zipper did it again. Just split. We worked on it for a little bit.
Except this time, we couldn't zip it down and back up.
No matter how hard we tried.
Then the zipper came off on one side.
Oh man.
I just started laughing.
Of course something like this had to happen.
Luckily, after one phone call, a group of seamstresses come upstairs to help us.
They unstitched my whole dress in the back, reconnected the zipper, and sewed it all back together.
Then after they had zipped me up and fastened my pointless hook&eyes (great job, Nat. They didn't do anything.) they did a couple stitches on top of my dress. Just to make sure I could go the day without any more trouble.

I love this memory. I'm sure David was just sitting out there wondering what could have possibly happened to me. And no one told him what was going on. Mostly, I can't believe I didn't cry. (That is my go-to reaction for anything - happy, sad, angry. Sad, huh?) I laughed.
Because if that is the worst thing that could happen to me on my wedding day, then that was great. We were married already and nothing - not even a broken zipper - can make me give this up.
Of course something like this had to happen.
Luckily, after one phone call, a group of seamstresses come upstairs to help us.
They unstitched my whole dress in the back, reconnected the zipper, and sewed it all back together.
Then after they had zipped me up and fastened my pointless hook&eyes (great job, Nat. They didn't do anything.) they did a couple stitches on top of my dress. Just to make sure I could go the day without any more trouble.

I love this memory. I'm sure David was just sitting out there wondering what could have possibly happened to me. And no one told him what was going on. Mostly, I can't believe I didn't cry. (That is my go-to reaction for anything - happy, sad, angry. Sad, huh?) I laughed.
Because if that is the worst thing that could happen to me on my wedding day, then that was great. We were married already and nothing - not even a broken zipper - can make me give this up.
the ring story is lame and makes me anxious. the zipper story. now, that is classic. i love how the angel ladies came and sewed it back together. so sweet. you will love sharing that story with your daughter one day!
ReplyDeletei just reread my comment and when i said the ring story is lame, i meant lame that it happened. not, that your story is lame. fyi.
ReplyDelete