Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The little pedometer that is no more.

This is kind of a ridiculous story and I feel really silly writing about it.
But I want to remember it, so here goes.

At the end of last year, I got an email from my insurance about a wellness program where you can sign up for a pedometer and get entered into drawings for giftcards for Amazon (I thought it would just be like $30 or something. Nope, they are like $500 and $750 giftcards. Much more enticing.) and also for a trip to Hawaii. Sounds awesome, right?

Of course, I signed up, got my pedometer in January and I've been wearing it every day since then. You get a "goal" of how many steps you need to take each week and if you meet it, they give you a higher number the next week. I started out around 12,500 steps and now I think I'm at 34,000. You get a bonus if you are in the top 5 number of steps each week. I've been in the top 5, but never been the top person for the week.

Fast forward to yesterday. I went on a short run because I'm doing my half-marathon Saturday (woot-woot!) and LOST MY PEDOMETER ALONG THE WAY.  I was so mad. And then I was mad that it made me mad. It's just a dumb pedometer, right?

So what do I do, being as irrational as I can be? Go out and walk my route again looking for it. Really irrational and silly because it was getting dark and there was a .0001% chance of me finding it.  I might have kicked it as it came off my shoe and it ended up in the grass somewhere. Or someone might have picked it up out of curiosity and then thrown it away later. Or a car ran over it and it is smashed in the road somewhere.

It was ridiculous of me to even try. But I could help but hope I would find it.  And every time I saw a big leaf,  a rock, a hole in the concrete, and gum spot that looked like my pedometer, I got hopeful.  And I'm sure I looked like an idiot staring at every spot for the whole 3 miles. It was a long walk home.

It is driving me crazy that I lost it.
A) It took them forever to send me the first one and I really don't want to wait another month for my next one. Especially when we are moving twice in the next month.
B) I really legitimately thought I had a smidgen of a chance to win big bucks. (Ridiculous of me, I know.) There aren't that many people in the program and they were giving out quite a few giftcards.
C) I was finally going to win this week. With my half-marathon, pre-race runs, and golfing plans, I was bound to have the most steps this week.  Silly, competitive me.

Such a silly thing to be mad over, but that little pedometer drove (is still driving!) me crazy. I know I can still run my half-marathon and that I probably wasn't going to win anyways and I'll eventually get my new pedometer, but the irrational part of me is still super frustrated that I lost it and that I couldn't find it after looking for it. I'll chalk this one up to the vortex too. (Ask me about it sometime - and where all the socks, hair cutting scissors, David's old electric razor, and other missing things are.) 

It is weird to wear my boots and not have my rubber band on them anymore.
Also, I can be so irrational sometimes. 
But, hey, now it doesn't look like I've stolen every pair of shoes I wear.



1 comment:

  1. Don't feel silly! I washed my cell phone in the washing machine earlier this week and I cried. Over a phone!

    ReplyDelete