Monday, May 7, 2012

What I've Learned (v3) - Half.Marathon!

read parts one and two here.

1. You really can do it! And it actually was really fun.*except maybe miles 10, 11, and 12. But those are worth it.

2. No one knows why they make you go so early just to wait around. The 3:40 am wake up call is not so fun and don't plan on getting extra sleep when you get up to the start.

3. Bring extra clothes for the wait at the beginning - especially if they have a bag drop.  If not, bring old clothes you're okay with ditching along the way.

4. Downhill courses in the mountains are probably the prettiest ones.

5. Don't try to keep up with everyone running really fast at the start. Save that for when it gets really hard - like miles 10, 11, and 12.

6. You really can run the entire way without stopping at all. It's hard and you'll try to talk yourself out of it multiple times, but just ignore that little voice and keep going. Just tell yourself that slowing down is acceptable. Stopping is not.


7. Drink more water the days before. Also, chocolate gu tastes like frosting, which is okay. The strawberry banana one tastes like banana bread dough. Clif shot bloks are like huge square fruit snacks. 


8. Get the free massage at the finish line. You will need it. Your joints will be super, super sore the next day. 


9. Family and friends cheering you on are the BEST.  Seriously. If Andrew and Laura weren't standing by mile 10, my time would have been a lot worse. And at the finish line, those familiar faces make you realize how great you are and that you really can finish the race.


10. For the next 48 hours you won't want to run again. Then the idea starts trickling into your thoughts and suddenly you find yourself on your lunch break searching for another (maybe shorter, this time... the marathon is still just a thought) race to run in the next few months. 
At the finish!

4 comments:

  1. Good job! You are awesome! Running a race is so much more than just a physical feat, isn't it? I'm sad you guys are moving, I would love to run a race with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is way more mental! I wish I could run a race with you. That would be so fun!

      Delete
  2. Awesome job Nat! I am a little jealous not going to lie. I was planning on running that but ended up breaking my foot :( I am so glad you got to go. Isn't running the best feeling in the world?! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was way more fun than I thought it would be. I'm sad you didn't get to run it. I hope you get 100% better fast!

      Delete