Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I'm conquering dragons. How about you?

So today I found this:
Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be defeated.
- g.k. chesterton
I can remember wanting to be a princess when I was little. I wanted to find a white horse and ride off into the sunset. I wanted to live in a tower in a land that was perfect. I wanted the pretty dresses and long flowing hair. I wanted to be able to talk to animals, to sing with birds. I wanted carriage rides and tiaras.

And now that I know that princess school does not actually exist, this is the kind of princess I want to be:
That girl knew what she was doing. Thank you, Princess Elizabeth, for being on my list of heroes. My dragon may not be your dragon, but you showed me that I can beat mine - without a sword, a suit of armor, or a horse.

3 comments:

  1. I loved that book as a little girl! Nat, your posts are always so profound....I want to be more like you, you are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that you know about the Paper Bag Princess. My sister and I used to imagine that we were her, having many, many adventures. Also, I totally identify with the princess fetish/daydreams/etc. I just finished reading a series of books that were really kind of silly, but because they were re-tellings of old fairy tales, they were fabulous to me. :)

    ReplyDelete