Friday, December 2, 2011

Going Home (part 1): Eating My Vacation Away

I love going home to New York. I love being with my family, I love the east coast and the trees and seasons, I love seeing all the things I associate with being home - like the park across the street that my family is at every day (and probably has been since we moved there years and years ago.)
You'd never guess that behind this hill of rocks was a park....

with a creek (and the baseball field in the background)

and really fun swings.

Anyways, a lot of my memories of NY also involve eating/food. In between Christmas shopping and work, I started trying to make a list of where I want to go. Some places I've been to, others I've just heard about and want to try.  We definitely can't do them all. But here's some of what we are choosing from:
(I had a couple pictures on here for some of the restaurants listed, but for some reason it wouldn't let me load with them on, sorry.)

hampton chutney - last time I was in NY, we took the subway out to the Indian neighborhoods in Queens and had some good authentic food. (Naan!) I've heard/read some really good reviews about this place.

jake's wayback burgers - I'm pretty sure my dad goes here at least once every week. The people behind the counter recognize him now. And I'm a burger girl. So yes, while I am on my way to get a delicious piece of junior's cheesecake, I will be stopping by.

cosi - kind of like a panera bread/zupas soup salad bread place. There is one close to my house and I can't even begin to count how many times I've eaten there. It's not a one-of-a-kind experience, but for me, it's a memory.

the bagel place at quaker ridge (which I just learned is officially called H&R Bialy. Who knew?!)  I used to get a bagel here before school very often (especially junior/senior year before AP tests when we'd go to school really early for extra review sessions. I'm pretty sure that was my key to success.). With a strawberry-banana-orange juice. I keep hoping to find a bagel place out here that comes close, but there's nothing quite the same. I like the bagels off the street vendors too, but this place is at the top of my bagel list. Neri's is up there too.

the mexican corner restaurant - I actually can't remember what I've eaten here. But I do remember loving it.

shake shack - again, burger girl here. I don't think I could say no to a burger/malt from there. Definitely going to keep this one on the list.

national underground - it's a music venue but it apparently has good burgers.
 also, it's owned by gavin degraw and his brother. fun little fact.

candle light - there is a facebook page dedicated to the wings. Yes, they are that good. Sometimes I have dreams about them. We've made some homemade wings that are pretty close to these. But it's not quite the same.

doughnut plant - I've always heard how the doughnuts here are pure bliss. And who doesn't like doughnuts? (actually, for about 2 years I just didn't want doughnuts after having them every week in seminary. But I wouldn't fight them putting in a Dunkin Donuts here in Utah. Please?)

grimaldi's - classic delicious NY pizza. That I LOOOVE. We drove to Vegas just to eat this (although, the boys thought we were going for basketball games, so the pizza was just my reason) once because it was the closest store to Utah. Oh, how I miss thin crust pizza I can fold and eat.

chinatown/pho - you know all the meat hanging in the windows of Chinatown? It's really good, according to David. I personally LOVE their sesame rolls with the different fillings.  And the pho places down the street. We had some really good food last time and I'm excited to get more.

quickly - their website makes me laugh. But we love their smoothies with the tapioca balls. Last time we ran around the city based on where the quickly's were so we could get more than one. Here was the last ones we had before we went home.

Anyone else have any good places I forgot? Because I am very open to more good food.
Next part - my list of what to do!

Linking up here:



1 comment:

  1. Candelight! I have dreams about the wings, too! Love that there is a facebook page for them.

    This making a list of places to eat is genius. :)

    ReplyDelete