But then I read this op-ed, entitled "The Sandra Bullock Trade". And realized it was definitely something I needed to read today.
some of my favorite lines? (in no particular order)
1. "Modern societies have developed vast institutions oriented around the things that are easy to count, not around the things that matter most. They have an affinity for material concerns and a primordial fear of moral and social ones."
2. "Marital happiness is far more important than anything else in determining personal well-being. If you have a successful marriage, it doesn’t matter how many professional setbacks you endure, you will be reasonably happy. If you have an unsuccessful marriage, it doesn’t matter how many career triumphs you record, you will remain significantly unfulfilled."
3. "The daily activity most injurious to happiness is commuting." (I LOVE that he used the word injurious.)
Anyways, it was just my thought for the morning. Back to busting out some papers.
And I'm getting quite excited for GC this weekend.
xoxox
Funny, I read this yesterday too. I loved it as well. Also, I feel bad for Sandra Bullock that her personal life is getting as much attention as her professional achievements these days. I've seen five or six articles discussing her husband's infidelity and only briefly mentioning her award. Brooks handles it tastefully, though, I think. It's more of a, "This is what triggered this train of thought" instead of an "Ooh! Let's air Sandra Bullock's relationship dirty laundry!" Hm.
ReplyDeleteBut he's right. And it's refreshing to see a New York Times article pointing back to the real things that matter, I must say. I just really like David Brooks. I agree with him most all of the time.
Sorry for the novel. :)
Also, I'm sorry about your week. Hope things will start looking up again soon.
ReplyDeleteYou are great Nat! Go out, celebrate this weekend and revel in the fact that we are GRADUATING! SOON!
ReplyDelete